Friday, August 15, 2008

My Doctor's Appointment

I had my three-year-old doctor's appointment last week. It wasn't too bad. The doctor said that I am in great health and developing wonderfully. She noted that I could talk really well. I do have one little story to share, however. The nurse told me that I was going to need to take a vision and hearing test, which I had never done before. We were led to a small room with a desk. The nurse told me to sit at the desk, which was way too big for me. On the desk was a big piece of paper with the giant letters "H O V T." Across the room on the wall was a standard eye exam chart. The nurse told me that she was going to point to a letter on the chart on the wall and that I should point to the letter on the chart. I was a little confused. She pointed to the first letter. I said, "H" and then pointed to the "H" on the sheet on the desk. The nurse repeated this procedure several times, sometimes putting glasses on me with an eye patch on one side and then the other. Each time, the nurse would point to a letter on the chart on the wall, and I would say the letter and then point to it on the chart on my desk. The nurse then put giant earphones on my ears. I kept telling the nurse, "I can't hear. I can't hear." But, the nurse continued to give instructions. I was supposed to say, "I hear it" every time I heard a noise in the earphones and then point to the ear where the noise was coming from. Again, I thought this was awfully complicated and silly. But, I followed her instructions. Afterward, mommy and I did not know what to think about the test. It seemed very complicated for a three-year-old to do. Well, that's because it was complicated! When Dr. Mackey came into the examination room, she saw that the nurse wrote on my chart that I had passed the eye and ear exam. Dr. Mackey exclaimed, "Sophia passed! Three year olds never pass. In fact, many four year olds never pass. Great job, Sophia! You know your alphabet and I bet you know your numbers, too!" After that, I felt much better!

By the way, I am continuing to be tall. Mommy lost the chart the doctor gave to us telling my weight and height, but I think that I am 32 pounds, 4 ounces (about the 65th percentile) and 38 inches tall (about the 75th percentile).

No comments: